Posts tagged taleoftwobabies
Posts tagged taleoftwobabies
I’ve been so defensive of blogging recently. (What a sad sentence.) I’m noticing small disses everywhere: in the movie Contagion, the hero claims that “blogs are graffiti with punctuation.” Also, Jude Law plays a nutcase blogger who is obsessed with conspiracy theories. (Of course he is! Bloggers are wacky!) The New Yorker had a cartoon in its Fashion Week issue poking fun at blogs. And in my own life, when I recently showed someone a post I’d written, his tone was sad: “Oh, you blog.”
Oh Bloggy, I’ve missed you. I’m going to China today because a good friend is getting married in Beijing. Or “The Jing,” as I like to call it. So curious to see how decades of visiting American Chinatowns have prepared me for the World’s Biggest.
Whenever I hear “The People’s Republic of China,” I think of trendy jeans that would be sold only at Fred Segal. How sad for me.
It is my dream to get a picture with a scorpion at a Beijing farmer’s market. Oh, and to see the Great Wall.
I hope to be in touch soon, and I hope you all have a great holiday weekend and barbecue the heck of out summer. I will leave you with some things I’ve really enjoyed recently.
This is a postcard from RockSprings. I LOVE IT, OBVIOUSLY.
I’m really fired up about these blogs and hope you enjoy them as much as I do … if you aren’t already reading them!
1. Gubbi of Arabia: Expat Life in Dubai. A gal from Tennessee who moved to Dubai amid her quarterlife crisis. Four years later, she’s still there, still a fish-out-of-water (or whatever the desert version of that cliche is) and writes funny tales about life in the Middle East. Start with her post on window-cleaning in Dubai.
2. Summer with Callielion. Colleen is a 20 year-old Arizona lady who blogs about healthy living, books, and trying to become a better person. She’s so wise that I forget we’re not the same age! Start with this really interesting post about how she got married at 17.
3. Cup of Chi. You know how you’ve always kinda wanted to pack it up and move to Scotland? Well, the good news is you can read this blog and get a fun glimpse into what your life will be like when you finally move to St. Andrew’s. I am jealous in the good kind of way!
4. A Tale of Two Babies.She’s a new mom to an adorable baby and an All-But-Dissertation Phd candidate figuring out how to do it all! She’s warm and thoughtful and one of my favorite people in life, and this really shows up in her writing. And she’s brand new to Tumblr! I can’t wait to see more.
5. Finally Chelle. Funny lady. Her subtitle is “the musings of an average transsexual woman,” and she writes about life, love, womanhood and weight loss in a really honest, down-to-earth way.
6. One Jay At a Time. A daddy blogger in New York City who writes about how life and perspective are changing now that he’s got a lovely daughter.
Isn’t this a great caption? “Welcome aboard this blogging journey! Let’s discover some new reads, shall we?”
Happy Friday! I hope you have a good weekend.